Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Perfect Family Night

With Nick being out on strike he is working back at his old job. That means a normal shift and he is home for dinner and the night. I have to admit I absolutely love this and for this reason I am enjoying him being on strike. I love being a "normal" family that has dinner together and spends the evening together. I think the girls are loving it just has much as me. We had our first true family night this week. We went to the park to play soccer but the soccer fields were being used so we decided to go walk down by the river. Ellie has never been to a river before so we thought she would enjoy it. Since I thought we were only going to play soccer I didn't bring my camera, I know wish I had. We walked along the dirt path looking for a spot that we could navigate down with two little kids. It was such a sweet sight to walk behind my husband and daughter and see them holding hands. We eventually found a spot where we had to walk down a steep, but short hill and climb over a fallen tree. Can you just picture me with Lexie in the Bjorn and a soccer ball in one hand trying to get down to the river. To make it better I was also wearing flip flops. Ellie and Nick continued holding hands and walked all around the river bed. Ellie of course had to play in the mud and get all dirty. Nick I know was worried about what I would say because she was wearing a new white shirt and she wiped dirt down the front of it. When we were done Nick allwoed her to walk up the hill herself, of course he still had ahold of her. She was so excited and loved every minute of this. She found a place on the side of the hill that was rather steep but she wanted to climb up it. I could tell Nick was exhautsed and just wanted to go, but he walked up with her and told her to see how far she go. She was grinning so big and was so excited that she got to do this herself. She is getting to be such a big girl. We came home and of course had baths and then read some stories out of Ellie's "My First Book of Mormon" (Thanks Mike and Melissa!) It was a simple night but it was spent together and it was awesome. Thanks Nick for bearing with us and letting your little girl explore.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

That sounds so awesome. Wish you did have pics- the messy ones are the best, I think. What a fun family night.