Friday, February 20, 2009

A story to tell

After dinner today I ran out to Wal-Mart with Alexis. We quickly did our shopping and when we got out to the car it wouldn't start. I figured all I needed was a jump start and everything would be fine. A friend of mine was at Sams which is right by Wal-Mart so I called her to ask her if she could come help me. She showed up about 10 minutes later. While I waited I had the hood up several people came and went from right next to my car and not a single person asked if I needed any help. So when she got there luckily the car next me pulled out and she was able to park right next to my car. When we were about to put the cables on I young guy came out of the store and asked if he could help us. He hooked everything up and it didn't work. Turns out the battery wasn't dead after all. Some one in the parking lot had an alarm system that apparently was on a close enough frequency that is enabled my alarm. We don't use our alarm because the remote broke. So I had no way of disabling the alarm. I called Nick to tell him what was going on and he told me to disconnect the battery. I had no idea what I was doing at this point. A truck pulled in in front of my car and the most wonderful man came and asked if he could help us. So he disconnected the battery and when he reconnected it the alarm started going off. At this point I call Nick again and he says that he'll be right down to help me out. It was then that I realized that he couldn't come help me because I had my keys, which has the only key to the van on it. He is stranded at home, I am stranded at Wal-Mart. I asked him if he knew where the old remote is. If we can find that then we can hope it will work long enough to disable the alarm. No luck there, he didn't know where it was. So at this point we decide my friend will just take Lexie and I home and we'll figure out what to do from there. Then Nick calls me back and tells me to look in the console for the broken remote, it was there. But it had no batteries, so back into to Wal-Mart I went to find batteries, unsure of how exactly I was going to reconnect the battery without any tools. Did I mention while all of this was going on it was already dark. As I was checking out so was the man who was helping us. He thankfully came and reconnected my battery and made sure the alarm had disabled. Finally the car started and my "short" trip to Wal-Mart two hours later finally ended! Thank you nice man who took time to come to my rescue and my best friend in the whole world for staying with me through it!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Thank heavens for everyday angels! Glad you are okay and it all worked out.

ray-ray says said...

phew!

walmart trips are never quick.

but yours takes the cake. ;)